Author Topic: TV Tuner Dongle SDR radios  (Read 4933 times)

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
  • Location (City/State or Country): Wartrace, TN
TV Tuner Dongle SDR radios
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
  Has anybody else been playing around with the $20 TV Tuner Dongles that are able to act as wide band receivers? The one I have is RATED at 50-2400MHZ, but I was able to actually pick up a station on 40Meters with no mod.
  I have also purchased many of the parts to build an add on to allow it to receive any frequency from DC-Daylight basically. It takes the input frequency and add 100MHZ to it using a mixer chip , that way it is very easy to calculate the offset when tuning.. When I have time I will work on building the circuit and post updates as I play with it more ..

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:56:03 AM by KI4RQK »

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
Re: TV Tuner Dongle SDR radios
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
If you have one of those USB dongles for VHF/UHF reception, this upverter is now only $39 at nooelec.com...makes your $20 dongle hear much lower freqs:

http://www.nooelec.com/store/ham-it-up-v1-0-rf-upconverter-for-software-defined-radio.html#.UPQeUXy9KK0

I actually purchased the individual parts to build an Up-Converter, but it does not have nearly as nice of features as this one.. Considering purchasing one of these before they sell out.. betting they will go like HotCakes!

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
   Well, I went ahead and ordered this item.. gonna set up a long wire antenna out on the porch, and it will allow me to monitor HF channels during times of crisis (i.e.. hurricane weather, etc) when I am less able to go out to the garage to monitor. Will let you know how it works.. a

As an even MORE interesting aspect, i saw where  all the pathways are listed as BI-directional, and it actually CLAIMS that you can use it in reverse to transmit FROM a VHF radio ONTO the HF channels, as it will automatically reduce the transmitting frequency by 100MHZ. Thus if i transmit on 144MHz on my HT, it will reduce it to 44MHZ before then passing it on to the antenna.. and since my Amplifier is Bi-Directional as well, it makes for an interesting idea..

this is *NOT* an aspect i intend to experiment in the near future, but something to consider down the road~!

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
OK.. received this yesterday.. today I cobbled together a long wire antenna on the porch, a jury rigged connection between the upconverter and the SDR dongle, and i fired up HDSDR listening software.. first impression is.. WOW! I love it !! I need to put together some sort of enclosure, but this is the cats ass for a full blown SDR radio reciever for well under $100 total cost!.. heck.. it was well under $75 since I already had a couple of cables, lots of wire, and the Micro-USB power adapter for my phone already !

I am planning to bring it to next meeting to demo it.. If it works this well with a rando wire antenna, i can only imagine how well it will work when i thrown t on the REAL antenna there at the EMA office.

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
Still super impressed with this item. works great with Audio. I am working on digital modes, but that requires the use of a program called a Virtual Audio Cable, which I have not had a chance to learn how to use as yet.. I love the filtering and bandwidth options to eliminate static and other nearby signals..

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
OK.. reading the manual helps.. I had 2 settings reversed.. got the VAC (Virt. Audio Cable) working, now I am going to play around with an amp to see if it will help boost the signal after the upconverter, but before the SDR dongle receiver!

Offline WB4CMA

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
Would like to learn more via a demo at meeting.
Thanks,
Bill

Offline AD4BF

• Club Member
  • Location (City/State or Country): Parks City, TN
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
I'm also very interested in SDR. A demo at the next meeting would be great!

Offline KI4RQK

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I had planned to demo it at last meeting, but it just never quite happened.. didn't realize we had amplified speakers already available.. will bring it next time and have it set up if anyone is interested ..

I'm also very interested in SDR. A demo at the next meeting would be great!

View Forum Stats